Apparently I have ruffled the feathers of a bunch of people with my latest attempt at historical humor with my post of Lincoln and Booth. Many are baffled at why I could ever have a distaste for Lincoln and how could he be considered a “bad guy.” It would take several books to explain all that but I will post a quick summary of why I believe he was the such a bad president.
1. Lincoln waged a war that cost the lives of over 650,000 Americans. Including the murder of 50,000 innocent Southern civilians.
2. He invaded the South without the consent of Congress as required by the Constitution.
3. He suspended the writ of habeas corpus without the consent of Congress (as required by the Constitution).
4. He blockaded Southern ports without a delclaration of war, as required by the Constitution.
5. He re-instated and summarily promoted an Army officer who had been court martialed and cashiered by the US Army for war crimes.
6. He even had an arrest warrant issued for the Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court because said justice refused to back his illegal actions.
7. Chief Justice Roger B Taney ruled that Lincolns actions were illegal, criminal and unconstitutional.
8. He arrested several thousand Marylanders suspected of Southern sympathies, including 30 members of the State legislature, a US Congressman representing Maryland, the mayor and police commissioner of Baltimore, and most of the Baltimore city council. These political detainees were imprisoned in Fort McHenry and Point Lookout without trial, in many cases, for several years.
9. He illegally shut down and confiscated the printing presses of dozens of newspapers that had spoken out against him.
10. He imprisoned without trial, hundreds of newspaper editors and owners and censored all newspaper and telegraph communication.
11. He created two new states without the consent of the citizens of those states in order to artificially inflate the Republican Partys electoral vote.
12. He ordered Federal troops to interfere with Northern elections to assure his Parties victories.
13. He confiscated private property, including firearms, in violation of the Second Amendment; and effectively gutted the Tenth and Ninth Amendments as well.
14. He had his Generals attack US cities full of women and children and burn them to the ground.
15. Lincoln also ordered the execution of thirty-eight Dakota Indians for rebellion in Minnesota. The largest mass hanging in U.S. history.
For those who say you can put this all aside because Lincoln “saved the Union” and “freed the slaves”. You have also been indoctrinated to believe this myth. Lincoln destroyed the Constitution to simply keep the Southern States from forming their own nation. The South wanted self determination and Lincoln wanted land and tax revenue for the federal government. The South prior to the start of the war sent numerous representatives to Washington for peace talks, Lincoln refused to see them.
Lincoln was also a staunch white supremacist. He believed in the separation of the races, with the white race being in the superior role. Lincoln also believed in passing laws making it illegal for blacks to move into the western territories. He was in favor of colonization of American blacks in Africa. He invited black community leaders to the White House to convince them to encourage other blacks to move out of the country.
I have studied Lincoln and the War for a good portion of my life. I have read the good and the bad. But in the end I see that Lincoln did more damage to this country than any other American president and ended the Constitutional Republic our founding fathers established.
Web Source: Tar Heel Flagger Facebook Page
Post: February 20, 2019