Confederate Battle Flags, The Confederate Chapel and the Liberal VMFA
Friday – July 18, 2014
Posted by "Jerryd14 -The War – The Confederate Flag – Southern People and our History"
I am sure many of you who have voiced your two cents worth about the ongoing issue of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts on the Boulevard in Richmond, Virginia, and the Confederate Battle flags.
About 3-1/2 or so years ago the Political Correct, Liberals, troublemakers, Anti American tradition folks or whatever label is correct, got someone to force the removal of the (2) Confederate Battle flags from the front of the Historical Confederate chapel that has been on Grove Ave since 1887. This Chapel was constructed on the grounds of the old Confederate soldiers home, where old Confederate soldiers and sailors lived out their remaining years.
Later, somewhere about 1936, the Commonwealth built a museum on the property (VMFA), this was done after most of many old wooden structures from the old soldiers home were no longer used and were torn down. The Pelham or Confederate chapel was/is still there on Grove Ave. and still being used today. It is a National as well as a Virginia Historical landmark/historical building.
This chapel, is way around the corner from the VMFA building entrance, and was there long before the museum. It is in no way obtrusive, not that should matter as it was there long before the site for the Museum was chosen.
So the Liberals or whomever had the flags removed from the chapel for political reasons,
and in may articles and stories that have been written, you would be led to believe one or more of the several issues which are FALSE.
* The flags are on the Virginia Museum of Arts Building.
* Protesters want to erect Confederate flags on the VMFA.
THE TRUTH IS THIS.
1. THE CHAPEL WAS THERE LONG IN EXISTENCE BEFORE THE MUSEUM CAME ALONG.
2. THE CHAPEL IS LOCATED ON GROVE AVE THE SIDE STREET THAT RUNS ALONG THE LEFT SIDE OF THE MUSEUM, WAY FAR AWAY AND PHYSICALLY SEPARATE FROM THE ENTRANCE TO THE MUSEUM BUILDING FRONTING THE BOULEVARD.
3. THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES AT THE VMFA ORDERED THE FLAGS TO BE REMOVED FROM THE CHAPEL ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO.
3. THIS IN MY OPINION ACTION WAS AND IS ILLEGAL, AS THE BUILDING IS A NATIONAL AND STATE REGISTERED HISTORICAL STRUCTURE WHICH BY LAW FORBIDS ANY ALTERATIONS, WHICH THIS FLAG REMOVAL ACTION WAS AN ALTERATION.
4. THIS CHAPEL WAS CONSTRUCTED WITH PRIVATE DONATIONS, NOT STATE OR FEDERAL MONIES, FOR THE HONOR AND SERVICE TO THE VETERANS, THEIR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS.
5. THE CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG IS A LEGAL FLAG, A HISTORIC SYMBOL AND IN NO WAY SHOULD BE FORBIDDEN TO REMAIN WHERE THEY WERE ON THE FRONT OF THE OUTSIDE OF THE CHAPEL.
So, I would urge all, or however many American citizens alive who still care about right and wrong, who care about America, our history, our ancestors, that you will object to this. Stop visiting the Museum, ask others to do the same. Write e mails and make phone calls to the VMFA and your state legislatures, contact the media, and support the Virginia flaggers with contributions, as they have been protesting this action with flaggers on the sidewalks for several years and will continue until the flags are returned to the chapel