SCV participates in memorial service
by Agnes Hagin
It was the first of what is to become an annual service.
The Sons of Confederate Veterans from the Camps of Northwest Georgia, dressed in period uniform, conducted the service.
Musical entertainment wasgiven by Ms. Lisa Skinner.
There were also be quotes and sayings from well-known Evangelist Sam P. Jones, who once served as pastor of the old church, re-enacted by Rob Arnold.
Those attending also had an opportunity to take a self-guided tour of the cemetery and to view a collection of local antique quilts inside the church.
EVHS members sold hamburgers, hot dogs, sweets, drinks, homemade jelly and jams, postcards, T-shirts and the Van Wert Church history book.
Historians have written that the original log church was erected before the Civil War and chartered as the Van Wert Church of Christ Baptist Church on June 20, 1840.
Evangelist Sam Jones is believed to have led the First Methodist Church to build the present structure.
Others who formed churches in this historic building include Rockmart Presbyterian Church (1871), First Baptist Church (1875), Fairview Baptist Church (1889), Rockmart Church of God (1938), and the New Van Wert Baptist Church (1958).
© 2008 The Fish Wrap
On The Web: www.cedartownstd.com/full_story?article-SCV-participates-in-memorial-service%20=&page_label=home_top_stories_latest&id=309205-SCV-participates-in-memorial-service&widget=push&instance=home_latest_right_first&open