"Delaware Grays" Dedicate VA Marker for Confederate DE Soldier
Friday, March 28, 2008
Contact: Terry Ayers
The resting place of every other soldier in the cemetery was honored with a marker, a flag, or both. Sergeant George Julian Robinson had neither until recently when the “Delaware Grays”, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 2068, at the request of his ancestor Thomas Robinson, placed a VA marker and Confederate Cross of Honor at his gravesite at St. George’s Chapel, Rt. 23 – Beaver Dam Road – near Angola. A ceremony to dedicate the VA marker is being held on Saturday April 12th at 2pm. The Delaware Grays color guard will honor the service of Sgt. Robinson who fought with General John Bell Hood’s brigade, Company “A” 5th Texas infantry, CSA. There will be speeches, prayers and a rifle salute using period style muskets.
Sgt G.J. “Jules” Robinson was from Georgetown, Delaware and fought in many of the war’s most famous battles. He was severely wounded, shot through the face during the Battle of the Wilderness, VA in May 1864. After the war, lived in Texas for a number of years before returning to Georgetown in 1882. He died in 1887 and was buried at St. George’s Chapel.
The U.S. Congress has recognized Confederate soldiers as deserving of all the rights and honors accorded to any other American soldier (85th Congress, part 1, volume 72, pages 133-134 and is known as public law 85-425). An estimated 2,000 Delawareans went south to fight for the Confederacy during the great “Unpleasantness” 1861-1865. For more information about Sgt. Robinson, interested persons may visit the Delaware Grays website at www.DESCV.org. The “Delaware Grays”, SCV Camp #2068, based in Seaford, Delaware, is a non-profit, non-political, non-racial, patriotic community organization whose members are descendents of Confederate veterans who served honorably during the “War Between the States”.