Confederate Encampment at Cecil’s Old Mill
Great Mills, MD – 6/8/2011
Historian John Griffin wrote, "It is said that the first casualty of war is truth and that the victors write and perpetuate the history. There are two sides to every story, two sides to a conflict, and while it would seem simple to record and report history, it has always been open to different interpretations. Somewhere along the line the Southern perspective has been obscured. " The Sons of Confederate Veterans is an organization dedicated preserving and presenting the Southern perspective to the War Between The States.
On Saturday, June 18th at the Cecil’s Historic District in Great Mills, MD, the life of the Southern soldier in 1861 will be recreated during the SCV Camp #1359, Captain Vincent Camalier Encampment. Members of SCV Camp #1359 will faithfully recreate an encampment of 10 canvas tents, authentically furnished in 19th century military style. Using their historically accurate uniforms, weapons, and equipment, camp members will educate visitors on the history of the war as experienced by the Southern soldier.
The day will begin with the Striking of the Colors by the SCV Honor Guard. Throughout the day there will be black powder firing demonstrations, campfire cooking exhibits, and tours of the soldiers sleeping quarters. There will also be an opportunity for kids to play some of the popular children’s games from that time. Folksinger Bob Simmons will perform many of his original songs about the history of St. Mary’s. There will be a live bluegrass music from 1-3pm on the front porch of Cecil’s Country Store, and storyteller/historian, J.B. Couch will be on hand to delight visitors with his talents. Tasty food and cool drinks will be available for sale by the Optimist Club, with ice cream across the street at the Old Mill.
While at the encampment, visitors can also tour Cecil’s Old Mill. Located in one of Maryland’s first Industrial Districts, Cecil’s Mill was originally built as a cotton/ textile factory in the 1800’s. It was later transformed into a grist mill and saw mill. After restoration in the late 70’s, Cecil’s Old Mill became a National Landmark in Historic St. Mary’s County. Today, the mill exhibits artifacts including its working water wheel, and is home to some of the finest local arts and handmade crafts for sale. The historic district also includes Cecil’s Country Store and Post Office.
Cecil’s Old Mill is located at 20854 Indian Bridge Road, Great Mills, MD. The encampment will be open to the public between the hours of 10am and 5pm on Saturday, June 18th, 2011. For more information on Cecil’s Old Mill, call 301-994-1510 or visit their Facebook page.
For additional information, contact Dawna Wible at 301-994-9622. Questions may be e-mailed to Dawna at email@example.com
© 2005-2011 TheBayNet, Inc.
On The Web: http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/22735