NAACP condemns ACC for bringing baseball to SC
Posted: May 21, 2009
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WMBF) – The NAACP has condemned the ACC for awarding its future baseball tournaments to South Carolina in defiance of the group’s boycott of the state for flying the Confederate flag on Statehouse grounds.
Last week, Atlantic Coast Conference leaders agreed to bring the tournament to Myrtle Beach from 2011-2013. However, the NAACP South Carolina Chapter president says he’s upset over the ACC’s decision.
"The nod of approval will not come from this organization," Lonnie Randolph said, noting his organization is in talks with ACC officials, as well as Myrtle Beach officials, but there are no plans to drop the boycott of South Carolina.
Brad Dean, president of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, says without the May Bike Rallies and with possibly losing the ACC Tournament, local businesses will take a big hit during that critical month.
"The ACC tournament has the potential to bring tens of thousands of people here to the Grand Strand over a three-year period," Dean said.
An ACC spokesperson was not available for comment.
Copyright 2009 WMBF News.
On The Web: www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=10405871&nav=menu157_2