A Fearless American General on Top of the 6th Connecticut
From: bernhard1848@att.net
General William S. Walker of Beauregard’s staff at Petersburg in May 1864 was a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania native and son of Mississippi Senator Robert J. Walker; who also served as President Polk’s Secretary of the Treasury. William S. Walker in 1861 chose the side defending the US Constitution, and his courage and bravery is attested to in the following description of his severe wounding at Petersburg. He recovered from his wounds under Northern care, and it is noteworthy that this Northern-born Confederate general was nearly shot to death by troops from the slave-trading State of Connecticut.
Bernhard Thuersam, Director
Cape Fear Historical Institute

A Fearless American General on Top of the 6th Connecticut:
“Half way between the battle-field and my hospitals, I overtook four of our boys in blue, under a corporal, tenderly carrying to the rear a stretcher on which lay a wounded rebel. Something tempted me to halt and dismount. God forgive me if it was a desire to assure myself that all the suffering had not been on our side. If so, the unworthy feeling was of brief duration; for no sooner, throwing the reins to my orderly, did I stand beside the litter and gaze upon the pale pinched features of a wounded man, than all promptings of patriotic hatred vanished; and there was nothing left in my existence but the deep, overwhelming sympathy of the medical man for a patient needing aid to call him back from death.
He needed aid, indeed, his left arm was shot through; his right leg shattered and badly mangled above the ankle; his hip was torn by the fall of the horse, and life appeared fast ebbing. In his horse, by the way, as it fell under him, there were sixteen bullets. He had ridden right in on top of the 6th Connecticut Regiment, and our boys had given him what we call a “blizzard.”  “My poor man,” I said, “you are wounded nearly unto death.” “I feel it,” he faintly replied. “I am General Walker of Beauregard’s staff. Let me rest somewhere and dictate some last words to my Wife and Commander.” 
Giving him some brandy from a pocket-flask, I told the corporal in charge to carry him to my own tent, next to General Gilmore’s headquarters at Hatcher’s House…I procured an amanuensis for General Walker, to whom he hurriedly dictated two letters. They were farewells to his Wife and General Beauregard. General Walker, however, was not destined to die. He remained at once my guest and patient until sufficiently restored for safe transfer to the General Hospital at Fortress Monroe….”
(The Prison Life of Jefferson Davis, John J. Craven, MD, Carleton, Publisher, 1866, pp.12-14)